In March 2010, we commissioned social research specialists Substance to conduct a ground breaking three-year research project to quantify exactly how valuable Sport for Development is to both our society and economy, providing that much needed business case for investment into the sector.
The research produced some notable findings, none more so than for every disadvantaged young person that participates in a Sport for Development programme society saves £4,174.12 per annum.
The research also found the Sport for Development sector has a proven likelihood of having a consistently positive impact on all seven of the outcomes measured, with particular strengths in the areas of crime and substance misuse reduction.
Sport for Development…
- Reduces the risk of alcohol & drugs misuse by 19.2%
- Reduces the risk of anti-social behaviour & crime by 15.8%
- Reduces the risk of becoming NEET by 6.8%
- Improves well-being by 14.3%
- Improves educational attainment by 12.7%
- Improves educational attendance by 4.5%
- Improves fitness and health by 7.3%
The report, ‘Investing in Sport for Development – creating the business case to help change the lives of disadvantaged young people in the UK’, is available to download here:
See how organisations are already benefitting from Sportworks!
Your Sportworks Account
You know sport changes lives, now we have the tool to prove it!